Employees are aware that organizations care for them. But sometimes saying is not enough - actions speak louder than words! Employee wellness programs are an excellent way to show how much you care for your employees' well-being.
Wellness programs in workplaces increase productivity, boost morale, offer incentives to employees, encourage better health behaviors, and reduce rate of absenteeism are a few reasons why employees should participate in wellness programs.
Employee wellness programs are not only beneficial to employees but employers as well as to the overall growth of the company. They increase employee engagement, establish a healthy company culture that is focused on employee health, and in the long term, assist the growth of the company.
What Are Employee Wellness Programs?
Programs targeted towards the well-being of employees are employee wellness programs. Pretty self-explanatory, right?
Basically, they are a collection of initiatives that employers take to encourage health and fitness and other healthy habits amongst employees. They include fitness classes, nutrition sessions, mental health consults, and more. Amidst the pandemic, even a vaccination drive, which is especially relevant and necessary.
Corporate wellness programs do not have to be drab or boring; in fact, Zumba classes, Yoga, or competitive sports can be really fun! They can energize the employees, build their morale, and create a spirit of camaraderie.
What Are The Benefits Of Wellness Programs For Employees?
What’s better than an employee? A healthy, happy, and satisfied employee!
Indeed, by encouraging your employees to lead a healthier lifestyle, you are investing in healthier and happier employees. But that’s not all. It also leads to a more engaging and productive workplace in the long term.
How Do Wellness Programs Benefit Companies?
- They can improve employee behavior: Regular fitness programs, team-building exercises, and stress management sessions pave a path for healthier and happier employees, who are consequently more productive, engaged, and active. Employees feel more valued in the company, thus promoting retention and decreasing employee turnover.
- Fewer leaves of absence: The practice of leading a healthy lifestyle automatically results in better health conditions, and thus, less absenteeism. Your employees will show up to work regularly and be more present and engaged.
- Reduced healthcare expenses: Staying fit and healthy reduces health risks for chronic diseases and long-term illnesses. By investing in group health insurance along with added benefits for your employees, you can help your company cut down on health care costs.
- Reduced admin time for HRs: There’s a direct link between employee wellness programs and productivity. Beyond that, investing in corporate wellness programs can significantly cut down on admin time and paperwork for you, which saves a lot of time in the long term.
It is a complete win-win situation! Employee wellness sessions are significantly profitable to both employees and organizations.
While the employees themselves enjoy a fit, stress-free self, the company directly profits from employee wellbeing. In fact, with better physical and emotional wellbeing comes improved morale and behavior.
This consequently boosts group work and team spirit, and as a result, has a positive impact on the overall company performance. Indeed, employee wellness programs and productivity go hand in hand.
How Do Employee Wellness Programs Increase Productivity?
Employees who partake in corporate wellness programs are not only fitter and healthier, but are also more motivated and energized.
According to a survey conducted by Harvard Business Review, a majority of employees who participate in wellness sessions at work said they’re extremely satisfied with the programs.
Let’s see why:
- A rise in happy chemicals: Craving that 'feel-good' feeling? The answer is exercise. Whether it's a walk where you breathe in fresh air or shake your legs to the beats of Zumba music, such activities release endorphins or 'happy chemicals' that trigger a positive feeling within you.
- Encourage mental wellbeing: Wellness programs are not just limited to physical wellbeing. They include mental and emotional wellbeing, which help employees manage stress and exhaustion better, and prevent employee burnout.
- Avoid lifestyle diseases: Regular exercise and other activities help steer clear from lifestyle diseases, such as diabetes or obesity. Such conditions are extremely harmful to your body and also have negative impacts on your mental health.
- Heighten team spirit: Group activities and competitive sports can build a rapport among the employees in the worksite, which reflects in the work performance of teams.
- Boost company culture: With a solid company culture that is created by wellness sessions, companies attract newer, talented potential recruits, which is beneficial for the overall growth.
HRs Role In Encouraging Employee Participation In Corporate Employee Wellness Programs
HRs play a pivotal role in implementing workplace wellness programs and encouraging employee participation. Their role is to form a common ground, where the management’s goals and employees' expectations can meet.
What Do HRs Have To Do For Wellness Programs?
- For starters, HRs have to be advocates for wellness programs. Keeping the best interests of the employees in mind, HRs must propose these programs.
- HRs should prescribe programs that are designed to fit the needs of the employees. There are various types of wellness programs, each targeted towards a specific fix. It is the HR who needs to prioritize programs based on what the employees need.
- For seamless execution, you must coordinate and manage communications between administration, management, and the employees. This, along with strategizing the programs, is beneficial and you will see the desired results.
- Reach out and talk to nutritionists, therapists, and health professionals for the programs, and then schedule them accordingly.
- Wellness programs are meant to be beneficial to the employees, and it is very important to collect employee feedback on how successful the programs are. HRs need to check if the programs are yielding positive results for the employees, and the company.
It takes continuous and sincere efforts to ensure happy, productive, and engaged employees. From advocating wellness programs to implementing them, and then updating them according to the need of the hour, don’t skip any step.
Reach out to team Loop for all your wellness needs! You can learn more here.
Make Wellness Your Priority
Healthier, happier individuals become better employees.
Wellness programs, if implemented properly, are extremely beneficial to the employees, the employers, and the company's bottom line as a whole. These programs contribute to the overall well-being - physical, mental, emotional - of an employee, and help them grow and thrive as an individual.
These group health plans will build morale and establish a company culture that thrives on employers who care for their employees, and employees who are happy and healthy.
Employees seek benefits that add to their wellness and security. Join Loop and bring amazing health benefits to your team starting from Rs. 499.